Monday, September 13, 2021

The Joy of Collecting: Model Cars


Things that give us pleasure.  We do tend to collect them.  We are talking about material objects here, okay?  For me at least, on the things I collect, they give me immense pleasure just by looking at them.  Something like a visual therapy.  My stress relieved.  My worries gone for a bit.  It recharges me.  It revitalizes me.

THE JOY OF COLLECTING:  THE SERIES.

This is the first of a series that would run in the blog.  I have collected several objects and I wanted to feature them here.  The thought is that there is joy in collecting!  It really does not matter if the objects being collected are cheap or expensive.  What's important is how these things affect our well being.  There is nothing wrong in amassing a number of material possessions; and there is totally nothing wrong if you do not have anything you would call a collection.  I believe however, that human nature is wired to acquire possessions, be it material or inanimate like patents to ideas, concepts and other things in abstract form.  The thing is, we do collect!

MODEL CARS.

I just happen to be in Toy Kingdom wandering around and looking for a gift for a nephew in 2017.  It was a vivid memory because I chance upon some toy cars that are oh!-too pricey and at 50% off.  There were model cars that are impressively similar to the real ones.  They were scaled to 1:18.  This was the first time I was scrutinizing model cars and I was really impressed on the construction.  I suppose that was the reason why these model cars are so expensive ranging from 2,000 to 5,000 Pesos.  But since they were being offered at a 50% discount, I had to buy one.  I chose the one I really like!

The first model car I owned is this Red Beetle.  I am quite fond of the Beetle manufactured by Volkswagen because of its unique shape.  Below are some more pictures of the Red Beetle:





The details of the model car are awesome.  The doors can be opened.  The hood, too.  The wheels move accordingly when the stirring wheel is turned.  The side mirrors move.  Isn't it amazing?  It really looks looks like the real one! 

COLLECTING IS A PASSION.

When I first bought the Red Beetle I did not have the thought of collecting model cars.  No such thought.  It just happened.  A year later after buying the Red Beetle, I chanced upon another sale of model cars but this time it's at Toys 'R' Us.  So, I bought a Yellow Ferrari.  There was a great feeling inside.  I just could not describe it.  But there it was.  There was happiness that I cannot explain.  So, I thought I was hooked because I was looking forward to getting the next one.

Take a look at my Yellow Ferrari:





Similar to the Red Beetle, the Yellow Ferrari has moving doors, hood, stirring wheel, side mirrors and wheels.  The body is made of cast iron.  Some parts are made of plastic such as the seats inside, the stirring wheel and some details.  The wheels are made of rubber.  Truly fascinating!

LIFE-LONG PLEASURE.

Collecting isn't a one time thing.  It is not like buying a lot, call it a collection and then that's it.  You collect for the pleasure it brings.  That is why you are always on the hunt.  Looking for that thing that you will add to your growing collection.  There's discernment.  Not because you can afford things you will just buy anything.  No.  You acquire something that you really like.  Something that makes your heart skip a beat.  At least that is how it is for me.

As you can see I have two model cars in a span of 2 years.  The latest addition to my collection was in 2019 and I bought it in full price.  It is a Black Porsche.  I don't have pictures of it now because it's on my desk in the office.  I will make an update blog post once I have the pictures.  Oh, boy!  The Black Porsche is magnificent.

Collecting is addicting, and... better than chocolate!  Gets?

Lifestylecheck101: feel the joy of collecting. Euphoric!

No comments:

Post a Comment