Sunday, September 12, 2021

Do It Slowly, Baby!

In this hurried times, we sometimes complain that 24 hours is not enough for all the things we needed to accomplish for the day.  We tend to sacrifice a lot of things for the more "important" activities.  Most young adults nowadays skip breakfast and would rather "drink" their morning meals.  There's instant oat drinks and fiber-rich instant breakfast alternatives.  Some would of course opt for healthier drinks.  Thank goodness juicers were invented.  Not all juicers however, are created equal.

FAST JUICERS.

These type of juicers hit the market with a bang.  Literally because these juicers are very loud.  A motor spins a blade so fast that the fruits or vegetables put in it are ground to a pulp.  Juice is then extracted.

I joined the bandwagon and owned two of these in the past.  My first one was a budget-friendly juicer, Kyowa.  It has however, a small capacity.  I was just trying to start juicing and see if this would be good for me.  I do not want to spend so much money for a kitchen appliance that I may not be using after one or two times using it.  I was surprised and amazed!  It turned out that juicing with apples and carrots, my favourite combination actually with ginger, is a great breakfast!  I don't easily get hungry even with just one full glass of the juice.  So, several months later I upgraded to a big one that's robust but a bit pricier, Breville.

There is a lot of fascination with this product but there were also negative feedback.  Aside from being noisy when being operated, the juice is somehow frothy.  Also, with the way the juice has been extracted some say that a lot of the vitamins or supposed beneficial antioxidants are lost in the process.  There must be a better way!

SLOW JUICERS.

Less that two years after I bought my Breville fast juicer, I bought a Hurom slow juicer.  I again joined the bandwagon.  How can I resist?  The slow juicer was offered for a 30% discount at a TV shopping network.  I did not buy it there though because I could not wait for the long shipment.  I am so impatient.  I wanted to try the appliance out right away.  So, I bought mine from the True Value store in Shangri-la Plaza with the same discount.  Awesome!

What caught my eye actually was not the price but the technology behind slow juicing.  It all makes sense.  Slow juicing resolved all of the unwanted things in fast juicing.  First, there isn't much noise.  There's this some type of a ball that squeezes the juice out from the fruits and vegetables.  No blades.  The crushing action of the rotating ball for me is actually kind of an ASMR.  Second, the juice extracted is somewhat pure.  There's no froth.  Just simple pure juice which most likely has not lost any of its vitamins, minerals or antioxidant properties.

THE COMPARISON.

So, I tried my favourite combo of apples, carrots and ginger.  The slow juicer wins!  

The color of the juice from the fast juicer is rather weak while the one in the slow juicer is quite vivid. The texture of the juice from the fast juicer is grainy because of the froth and some of the pulp getting into the drink while the one from the slow juicer is smooth with no froth or pulp.  The taste from the fast juicer is okay but the one from the slow juicer is much, much tastier!  For sure!

My other favourite combos are apples and oranges, and apples and beets.  Why not try them out for yourself?

Lifestylecheck101:  there will always be alternatives.

DISCLAIMER.

This blog post is not a paid advertisement.  The picture above is not mine.  CTTO.  To the owner, just notify me if you want to have the picture taken down.

No comments:

Post a Comment