Wednesday, September 8, 2021

A Legit Cactito

 


Hear ye, hear ye!  Let it be known by all people walking on the face of this planet: I coined the term CACTITO.

The lockdowns enforced by governments because of this pandemic has brought all sorts of things.  There was a change on how we do our daily office work.  There was a change on how we communicate with one another.  There was a change on how we plan our groceries and prepare our meals.  There was basically a change in almost every aspect of our daily living.  To some, mental health has been affected in varying degrees depending on how big the change was on their lives.  One way of coping is engaging in a hobby that can take away the stress of this confinement from the four corners of the house. 

One hobby that is currently enjoyed by many is growing different kinds of exotic plants at home.  The growers are what we call "plantitos" and "plantitas".  I am one of these plantitos you see, but I am a special kind of plantito.  I specilize in cactus.  I therefore, is what you call a CACTITO.  Gets?A SPECIAL KIND OF PLANT.

Cactus are special kinds of plants.  Those fleshy and prickly plants need a different kind of TLC.  The amount of sunlight and water they get directly affects their growth and lifespan.  Humidity and the type of soil are also important factors for their reproductivity and health.  But once these are perfected, a cactus can become a great source of enjoyment and fulfilment.  To some, even a source of livelihood.  With the right know-how and tools, cacti are easily propagated.

TRADE FAIRS, NURSERIES AND FB MARKETPLACE.

I started collecting and taking care of cacti in December of 2018 when an officemate gifted me with a mamillaria in a clay pot.  A mamillaria is a kind of cactus that is usually small with a globulous to elongated shape.  I was very fond of that one but sadly it died.  So I started buying some in trade fairs in 2019.  These trade fairs happen in malls, in Parks and Wildlife, and in Quezon Memorial CIrcle (QMC).

I found later on that there are nurseries one can visit to buy them.  I happen to be in Baguio one time in 2019 and went to the the Living Gifts Nursery in La Trinidad.  That was a memorable trip actually.  I have never seen so many cactus in my entire life.  I was very fortunate to be able to purchase those species I like at very reasonable prices. 

When the pandemic hit and lockdowns imposed in 2020, I can only buy cactus on-line.  The FB Marketplace is a good source.  Cactus growers in Benguet in the Cordillera Region have stores in the marketplace.  Even distributors from QMC and the flower section near Farmers Cubao have FB marketplace stores.  It is quite easy to buy them.  There really isn't any shortage of where you can buy the prickly beauties.

THEY COME AND GO.

As I said, these cacti require a special kind of attention.  I have not perfected the combination of the factors that affect their growth, reproductivity and lifespan since each species require a unique combination of the factors.  In all of the almost 3 years so far that I have been growing cacti, I seem to be successful with the Agua Dulce kind of Gymnocalycium and the Astrophytum myriostigma.

The one pictured above is a multicustatum Astrophytum myriostigma that has been with me since May of 2019.  I have 50 more live cacti in my window sill garden and probably had 100 or so that have died.  I did learn some things from those that did not make it, and up to now I am still learning.

Lifestylecheck101:  a hobby is indeed a journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment