Thursday, May 31, 2012

A+++. Awesome Android Alcatel.

If you have read my posts on the Impeachment Trial of Chief Justice Corona, you would know that I have recordings of some critical parts of the proceedings.  I recorded the audio of some of those proceedings from live TV broadcasts through my awesome Android cellular phone.  I have uploaded them to mixcloud and embedded them in my posts.  If you haven't read those interesting posts or heard those audio recordings of historic events yet, the links below will take you there.   My favorite is Culpa and Dolus by the presiding officer Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile and Senator Ping Lacson's "explosive" speech.  Anyway, here are the links:


Joining the bandwagon of Android smartphones.
Technology is a wonderful thing.  Capacitive touch screen, large storage space, fast processor, useful apps, longer battery life - all of which became "off-the-package" standards for your regular smartphone which interestingly enough are "sought-after" features some few years back.
More than ever, there seems to be newer, better, smarter, more user-friendly, and more powerful phones released by manufacturers.  It became tasking for consumers to choose the right smartphone.  If you are just like me who already have a great working phone but wanted to join the bandwagon of the latest technology offering, specifically Android smartphones, then you'll probably be thinking of replacing your phone.  Well, I did, and it was quite a journey, but fun nonetheless.
Check out how I found Alcatel Blaze Glory after what seems to be an endless visit to the stores of Samsung and Sony Ericsson.  I spent countless hours scouring stores and kiosks in malls all over Metro Manila just to find that, uhhm, drumroll please, smartphone!   Every second was worth the effort.  I finally found the phone I was looking for.  I have now in my hands ALCATEL Blaze Glory 918.


Rehash...hush.  Shhhhh!  It didn’t make the cut.
One of my earliest posts is about this awesome smartphone of mine.  I thought of shaping it up a bit and submit it to a social bookmarking site with the hopes of having it featured in an on-line magazine of that website.  It was considered for posting and has already a template for the magazine.  Several days after, I received an email that they won’t post my article for reasons of “poor content”.  I say, WHAAAT?  Their definition of “poor content” is that it is "not unique enough".  Further, they said that there’s a lot of articles and blog posts of the same kind.  Apparently, a “software” reviewed my article.   And the “algorithm” of that software found that there’s too many matching words in my article with other posts in the entire blogosphere.  It’s SILLY!  So, I sent an email about this.  I told them that my article is UNIQUE since it recounted my very own experience.  Allegedly, out of the hundred millions of bloggers, I have exactly the same experience with others.  LOL.  That may be the case.  A probability.   But every word, every sentence, and the whole structure are originally mine.  I asked them that a real person review my article for reconsideration.  That was more than a week now.  So, I guess they stood by the result of their “automated analysis".  I guess, this is one of the prices I have to pay for the developments in technology - “impersonal judgment".

Happy with Motorola Q8.
... but wanted more

I am very happy with my old phone, the MOTOROLA Q8.  Yeah, I know.  The phone is already more than 3 years old and runs on Windows Mobile 5.  What's great about this phone however, is that its keypad is QWERTY where 3 years ago, such feature can only be found in top-of-the-line BlackBerry's and HTC's.  At a sale price of 12 thousand pesos (about 300 U.S. Dollars) in 2009, the MOTOROLA Q8 without WIFI is a steal.  LOL!


Aside from the usual SMS and call functions, I also use the MOTOROLA Q to store records of my daily expenses.  That's pretty much what I needed from a mobile phone.  I was contented and happy with it.  Then came this wave of cellphones and handheld devices (i.e., tablets) packed with awesome features running on a sleek operating system, and with unbelievably super low price tags to boot.  Wow!  I cannot keep myself from thinking of several reasons to justify the need to replace my "o-oh-by-now-would-be-deemed-Jurassic-super-sturdy-why-won't-you-die" working phone.  Now, I just can't contain myself.


My feet started to walk to the direction of the mall's section where gadgets are being sold.  Yes, my feet are independent from my head.  I just can't control them.  LOL.  I began comparing functionality and price.  Well, it's mostly prices and it's the main consideration.  A new phone after all isn't in my budget.



Oh hi, Sony Ericsson Xperia W8

... you look great. What's the catch?

As expected, with myself contradicting myself, and giving in to the "itch of the flesh", well, mostly from my fingers wanting to touch those "capacitive" touch screens, I bought a SONY ERICSSON XPERIA W8.  It's an ANDROID smartphone and a walkman. This combination, I like!  There's even a pair of speakers given out for free (that's gorgeous by the way and sounds fantastic) and a discount on the price.  I got the W8 for only 7,200 pesos (roughly 165 U.S. Dollars) from the Sony Ericsson retail center in Glorietta.  I thought it was a steal!  Alas, after just a little time playing with my new powerful and "soundtastic" smartphone, I got bored and went back using my Q8.  Woah!

Why?  Well, I got frustrated with the W8. The ANDROID version 2.2 (Froyo) is awesome but lacks a lot compared with the newer and yummier versions - Gingerbread, Honeycomb, and Ice Cream Sandwich.  Oh, they make me hungry.  My one source of frustration is with the W8's limited internal memory.  You can only obviously download a limited number of applications.  This constraint has been addressed by the later versions of Android where you can opt to place the downloaded application to the external SD memory card.  Sigh....

So my feet began wandering again, store after store, kiosk after kiosk, mall after mall.  To my utter surprise and disbelief, I have found ALCATEL BLAZE GLORY!  It was a glorious day, indeed!

Samsung Galaxy Y or Alcatel Blaze Glory
... let's compare.

I was considering Samsung Galaxy Y. At a price of about 6,000 pesos (135 U.S. Dollars), I would get an Android phone running Gingerbread 2.3.5 with 2 MP rear camera, a processor of 830 MHz, 180 MB ROM and a 290 MB user-available RAM, bluetooth, WI FI, and a 240-by-320-pixel 3-inch capacitive touch screen.  Looks and sounds perfect to me.  Well, yes, considering my budget.  LOL.

Almost everywhere I look, people seem to have been bitten by this KOREAN BUG, I mean Samsung bug.  Bwahahaha.  It's like when you say ANDROID smartphone, it's synonymous to Samsung.  Yeah, okay, I agree, not quite!  Having this feeling of still being not satisfied, well, the screen is okay but the size is, hmmm, I think a bit small for me... I began considering those locally manufactured mobile phones like Cherry Mobile or My Phone.  With the same price, I can get a phone with DUAL SIM that's dual stand-by.  But then again, I heard some people chattering, probably in the same predicament as I am, that the locally manufactured ones are not that sturdy...???  Maybe, some more time is needed for these manufacturers to mature... and besides I don't like the TV in the phone.  I don't know why. Maybe because it reminds me of knock-off cellphones sold at Divisoria.

So, I kept walking.  My feet are dragging me to explore some more.  Did I tell you that my feet are independent from my brain.  He-he-he.  And it's even psychic.  LOL!  At the end of the CyberGateway in Megamall, there's the ALCATEL kiosk.  Okay, ALCA-what?  Isn't that an old manufacturer of landline phone units?  Curious and intrigued, I went over and looked at their mobile phones.  To my amazement there it is... the GLORY hole. Sorry!  I mean Blaze Glory dual sim phone.  And it's on sale!  From the previous price of 7,999 pesos, it's now down to 5,999 pesos (135 U.S. Dollars).  Woah! It's the same price as the Samsung Galaxy Y.  I have to check its specs.

Okay, so the screen is a bit bigger than Samsung's.  It's a 320-by-480-pixel 3.2-inch capacitive multi-touch screen.  Great!  The rear camera is 3 MP.  Check! It even has a "panorama" shooting option. Check-check! It runs on 2.3.5 Gigerbread.  Check again! Oooooooh.  This phone's getting a lot of checks.  Soon it'll be a checkmate.  LOL!  CPU is 650 MHz. O-oh!  Lower than the Samsung's.  But the ROM is more than twice, 512 MB, so I guess that can compensate for the lower processor speed.  Ha-ha-ha.  I am seeing myself trying to justify the pending purchase. Must see more advantage here... Oh, I see that the battery has better amperage (don't know if I used this word properly).  Alcatel has Lithium-ion battery of 1300 mAh.  Samsung has 1200 mAh.  This means that Alcatel's will last longer, I suppose.  WI FI and bluetooth.  Well, those are pretty much standard.  Oh yeah, Alcatel is heavier.  It weighs around 120 grams while Samsung weighs around 98 grams.  This is actually good for me.  Alcatel feels like a phone and not like a toy.  What else?... what would decide my purchase?...  Then there it is.  It's DUAL SIM, DUAL STANDBY!  I must have this phone... NOW!


Finally, I'm in the bandwagon.


So, I bought ALCATEL BLAZE GLORY 918N and VERY HAPPY about it.  I was so ecstatic that I convinced my sister to buy one.  She wanted the white one (there's 2 colors to choose from, black and white) but opted for the black one.  The rubber surface of the phone makes it more appealing and of course serves its purpose of easier and more secure grip.  Haaaay!  I finally found the phone I was looking for.... I know because my feet are already tired. LOL!


P.S. I was told by the customer rep that Alcatel is a european brand.  Woah!  Makes it even better...



No comments:

Post a Comment